Surrounding Leipheimer on the podium today were two Slipstreamers, Millar and Vandevelde. Slipstream made a great day of it with three in the top six (Zabriskie being the third). David Millar was the only rider able to come within half a minute of the sprightly Leipheimer, but 29 seconds over 24k isn’t all too terribly close.
It was a masterful performance from Levi, and yet more proof that Astana’s non-selection to RCS and ASO races is a true bike racing tragedy if there ever was one…yes, even moreso than Unibet in 2007.
The Bissell Dynamic Duo of Tom Zirbel and Ben Jacques-Maynes showed once again that they’re as good as anyone in the world in a chrono – both managed top 10 finishes in a top notch ProTour field.
On To The Pictures!
Mario Cipollini glides on by to a nondescript finish – did you expect anything more?
Bradley Wiggins heads into the finale en route to an 11th place finish.
Zabriskie was solid on the day. He rolled to 6th, to complete Slipstream’s eyebrow raising three in the top 6 feat.
Christian Vandevelde was pretty happy about his ride afterwards.
Young Robert Gesink had a good go of it, but he didn’t stand a chance against the best time triallists on the planet. He still put in an admirable performance though: 20th on the day.
Fabian Cancellara started second to last, and with a bike detailing back to back Worlds wins, he was a hot favorite…
Unfortunately, Fab didn’t quite have it today and took a drubbing from little Levi.
Levi, Millar, and Vandevelde.
The jerseys stayed the same as yesterday.
Levi with some well deserved attention on the podium.
Stage 5 Results
1. Levi Leipheimer (USA), Astana, 30:46
2. David Millar (GB), Slipstream-Chipotle, 0:29
3. Christian Vande Velde (USA), Slipstream-Chipotle, 0:45
4. Gustav Larsson (Swe), CSC, 0:58
5. Fabian Cancellara (Swi), CSC, 1:05
6. David Zabriskie (USA), Slipstream-Chipotle, 1:15
7. Janez Brajkovic (SLO), Astana, 1:19
8. Tom Zirbel (USA), Bissell Pro Cycling, 1:24
9. Benjamin (USA), Bissell Pro Cycling, 1:25
10. Kim Kirchen (Lux), Team High Road, 1:29
11. Bradley Wiggins (GB), Team High Road, 1:30
12. Vladimir Gusev (Rus), Astana, 1:35
13. Jurgen Vandewalle (B), Quickstep, 1:38
14. Christopher Horner (USA), Astana, 1:42
15. Rubens Bertogliati (Swi), Saunier Duval, 1:43
General Classification After Five Stages
1. Levi Leipheimer (USA), Astana, 21:14:52
2. David Millar (GB), Slipstream-Chipotle, 0:49
3. Christian Vandevelde (USA), Slipstream-Chipotle, 1:08
4. Fabian Cancellara (Swi), CSC, 1:18
5. Gustav Larsson (Swe), CSC, 1:19
6. David Zabriskie (USA), Slipstream-Chipotle, 1:36
7. Christopher Horner (USA), Astana, 2:07
8. Jurgen Vandewalle (B), Quickstep, 2:11
9. Robert Gesink* (Nl), Rabobank, 2:18
10. Alexandre Moos (Swi), BMC, 2:27
11. Thomas Peterson* (USA), Slipstream-Chipotle, 2:58
12. Pena Grisales Victor Hugo (Col), Rock Racing, 3:17
13. Bernhard Kohl (A), Gerolsteiner, 3:34
14. Kevin Seeldraeyers* (B), Quickstep, 3:40
15. Iker Camano Ortuzar (Sp), Saunier Duval, 5:06