The final stage of the 2007 Tour of California was basically a 125k crit – but it played like a road stage, as a quality break enjoyed about 120k out front before being reeled in just in time for one more bunch sprint to cap off the race.
The break today consisted of no less than six domestic pros and one lonely ProTour rider. Stage 7 was definitely the day for the domestic professional – starting with the break and ending with Dominguez’ win.
Dominguez gets a little help from his teammates to take care of some business…to make things a little more comfortable in the finale perhaps?
As per the norm, Discovery was on front keeping things in check…waiting for that special time when the sprinter teams to come up for some tempo-setting.
The sprint was a close one, but the Cuban Missile got it on the line with a marvelous bike throw.
It was a little too close for celebration, but Dominguez appears to realize that he got it.
After that, it was official – Levi had his overall victory, and he was a happy man.
And of course, this being the end of a big stage race, it was wheelie-time – this week’s wheelie provided by Aussie Matt Hayman.
CSC didn’t get the individual GC, but they took the team classification with relative ease…Karsten Kroon figures he can drink to that.
What’s the bubbly for anyway?
Stage Seven Results
1. Ivan Dominguez (Cub), Toyota United, 147.7km in 2:39:28
2. Graeme Brown (Aus), Rabobank, s.t.
3. Gerald Ciolek (G), T-Mobile, s.t.
4. Luca Paolini (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, s.t.
5. Robert Fцrster (G), Gerolsteiner, s.t.
6. Thor Hushovd (Nor), Crйdit Agricole, s.t.
7. Fred Rodriguez (USA), Predictor-Lotto, s.t.
8. Henk Vogels (Aus), Toyota United, s.t.
9. Brice Jones (USA), Jelly Belly, s.t.
10. Juan Josй Haedo(Arg), CSC, s.t.
Final Overall General Classification
1. Levi Leipheimer (USA), Discovery Channel, 24:57:24
2. Jens Voigt (G), CSC, at 0:21
3. Jason McCartney (USA), Discovery Channel, at0:54
4. Bobby Julich (USA), CSC, at 1:06
5. Stuart O’Grady (Aus), at CSC, 1:16
6. Christian Vande Velde (USA), at CSC, 1:24
7. Michael Rogers (Aus), T-Mobile, at 1:32
8. Ben Day (Aus), Navigators Insurance, at 1:38
9. Franco Pellizotti (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, at 1:41
10. Ryder Hesjedal (Can), Health Net-Maxxis, at 1:57