1. How many races will you do with Domina Vacanze?
FM – I still have to arrange the full program with the DS. So far I will ride
until Liege – Bastogne – Liege.
2. What are your short-term and long-term goals with road racing? – Will we see
you make a full time switch to the road?
FM – I am a pro rider and my heart is still in MTB and my goal is to go to Athens at the Olympics. I am open for any offer.
3. The Cobbles – can you describe for us what it’s like to ride the
FM – Very bumpy! I will find out on Sunday as the stones in Paris – Roubaix are
definitely worse than the one at Flanders.
4. Flanders – can you take us through your race last Sunday? What were the key
points in the race for you? I understand this was your 2nd Flanders, how did it
compare to your first time at de Ronde?
FM – It was important for me to stay in front of the peloton as I had a job to do for
Mario, and this is already a difference from last year. The key point was to be
in a very good place at the beginning of the Paddestraat and the most important
point was to position myself just before the Oude Kwaremont.
I was more relaxed in the other hills because I understood more which points
were more dangerous than last year. Last year I was nervous in every hills which
was obviously not necessary.
5. Road Racing – what is your road racing background – how much have you
done versus mtb?
FM – I started as an Mtb’er but every year I have been doing road racing to get in
shape. If we count only the nr of races than I do more road races than MTB
races, but this number is unimportant as my main goal is MTB ‘ing.
6. Domina The Team – what’s it like riding with Super-Mario and the Domina
team? How are you fitting in?
FM – Since we have to work for a winner it is more stressing then riding for
another team because we are not allowed to make mistakes and if I am fitting in
this is a question you have to ask the Team and the Team members.
7. Given your own strengths from mtb, what have you, or can you contribute to a
team like Domina Vacanze?
FM – I can do my best with the experience. I have matured here in Flanders and I hope
I can just do my job like any other member of the Team.
8. When travelling away from home at a race – what “home comfort” or gadget do
you always take with you?
FM – None
There you have it – Thanks Filip and to Specialized for arranging the chat!
You can find lots more about Filip at the Specialized Bicycles website www.specialized.com.